- God, give me grace to accept with serenity
- the things that cannot be changed,
- Courage to change the things
- which should be changed,
- and the Wisdom to distinguish
- the one from the other.
- Living one day at a time,
- Enjoying one moment at a time,
- Accepting hardship as a pathway to peace,
- Taking, as Jesus did,
- This sinful world as it is,
- Not as I would have it,
- Trusting that You will make all things right,
- If I surrender to Your will,
- So that I may be reasonably happy in this life,
- And supremely happy with You forever in the next.
– The serenity prayer
- I would like to be the air that inhabits you for a moment only.
I would like to be that unnoticed and that necessary.
Margaret Atwood, Variation of the Word Sleep
- When you are old and grey and full of sleep,
And nodding by the fire, take down this book…How many loved your moments of glad grace,
And loved your beauty with love false or true,
But one man loved the pilgrim soul in you,
And loved the sorrows of your changing face…
William Butler Yeats, When You Are Old
- There will be time, there will be time To prepare a face to meet the faces that you meet…
And time for all the works and days of hands
…Time for you and time for me, And time yet for a hundred indecisions, And for a hundred visions and revisions… In a minute there is time For decisions and revisions which a minute will reverse.For I have known them all already, known them all:
Have known the evenings, mornings, afternoons,
I have measured out my life with coffee spoons…
…After the novels, after the teacups, after the skirts that trail along the floor—
And this, and so much more?—
It is impossible to say just what I mean!
“That is not it at all,
That is not what I meant, at all.”
T.S. Elliot, The Love Song of J.Alfred Prufrock